Uncommon Dissent

Friday, December 02, 2005

“SETI and Intelligent Design” (4 comments)

I knew I had heard of Dembski before--he was a minor character in The Princess Bride. Some of his more memorable lines:

Dembski: SETI searches for alien signals without using the criterion of specified complexity? INCONCEIVABLE!
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.


Dembski: I am the Isaac Newton of Information Theory.
Westley: You're that smart?
Dembski: Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Westley: Yes.
Dembski: Morons.


Dembski: A word, my lady. We are but poor, lost street theater performers. Is there a village nearby?


Dembski: Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Westley: You've made your decision, then?
Dembski: Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Westley: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Dembski: Wait till I get going!
[pause]
Dembski: Where was I?


Filed under: As You Wish....

4 Comments:

  • A while back I made a top ten list of Vizzini quotes that applies to IDC.

    Top 10 Reasons why “The Princess Bride’s”, Vizzini, would be a Creationist
    1. They both have a “long and glorious tradition” of starting “court” battles.
    2. “Am I going mad or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains.”
    3. They both attempt to write-off challenges by declaring them, “inconceivable!”
    4. “No more [evidence] now, I mean it!” “Anybody want a peanut?”
    5. They both “keep using that word” (evolution, theory, post-modernism, etc…) But, “I do not think it means what [they] think it means”
    6. They have no interest in being “sportsmanlike”
    7. They are both unwilling to compromise for the sake of fair debate. “There will be no arrangement!”
    8. They both declare their intellectual prowess from dubious claims to authority: “Ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, [or] Socrates? Morons!”
    9. They believe they can win by distracting their opponent with a long list of seemingly logical nonsense. “Truly you have a dizzying intellect.” “Wait till I get started! Where was I?” “Australia.”
    10. They both claim victory before the evidence is in. “Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.! Buwhahahahah-ack!”
    11. Whenever they fail, they simply start all over again. “…when the job goes wrong, go back to the beginning. This is where we got the job, so [this] is the beginning.”

    By Blogger CRoze, at 7:04 AM  

  • Do I flatter myself to say that great minds think alike?

    I do.

    By Blogger T.H. Huxley, at 12:29 PM  

  • By Blogger Gnuosphere, at 6:02 AM  

  • Haha, that is awesome.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home